what are your words for the new year?
Every new year some words choose me, like a magic spell to be cast on the year ahead. This year’s ensemble showed up as it’s own little poem of truth: Pure Love Innovates.
This may or may not mean something to you, but I have five planets in Virgo (tho’ my Sun sign is Gemini, which explains why I do what I do: communicate to the nth.) All that Virgo makes for an obsession with purifying, detoxing, Zen-ifying, eradicating all forms of physical and mental clutter from the known universe, and running through the desert naked. Also explains my kin with fire – the greatest purifier of all. It’s not as heavy as it sounds.
- free from anything of a different, inferior, or contaminating kind; free from extraneous matter: pure gold; pure water.
- unmodified by an admixture; simple.
- clear; free from blemishes: pure skin.
- (of literary style) straightforward; unaffected.
- abstract or theoretical (opposed to applied ): pure science.
- without any discordant quality; clear and true: pure tones in music.
- absolute; utter; sheer: to sing for pure joy.
- being that and nothing else.
- clean, spotless, or unsullied: pure hands.
- untainted with evil; innocent: pure in heart.
- ceremonially or ritually clean.
- free of or without guilt; guiltless.
- independent of sense or experience: pure knowledge.
“L-o-v-e” is so overdone, used, abused, misused. This year it occurred to me that Joni Mitchell and I might have one more thing in common than just our citizenship: “I’ve looked at love from both sides now / from give and take, and still somehow / it’s love’s illusions I recall / I really don’t know love at all.” I want to know it and give it. I want to be loving in every way possible.
Marriage is not a love affair,
it’s an ordeal.
It is a religious exercise, a sacrament,
the grace of participating in another life.
If you go into marriage with a program,
you will find that it won’t work.
is leading innovative lives together,
being open, non-programmed.
It’s a free fall: how you handle each new thing as it comes along.
As a drop of oil on the sea,
you must float,
using intellect and compassion
to ride the waves.
- Joseph Campbell
admit, bring forward, bring in, coin, conceive, commence, develop, discover, enter, establish, evolve, found, generate, give birth to, hatch, inaugurate, initiate, induct, initiate, install, invent, kick off, launch, make, open up, organize, pioneer, plan, preface, present, produce, set up, spark, start, unveil, usher in.
The year is New. So are you. See you on the other side.